Healthy Living Tag| My Personal Regime

health salad-horz

Fit girls look good naked

So this Fitness Friday is a little different to my other one’s and gives you a little insight into my daily life and routine, and my battle to become a healthier person. I have had quite a few of you ask me over the past few weeks what regime or routine I follow, or how did I lose weight, so this tag is perfect timing really!

I was tagged by the lovely Maya Craig from Super Food Babe, she is an avid Tone It Up girl and a great inspiration.  Her blog is full of healthy recipes and motivating posts, go check her out!

1. What did you eat for breakfast?

Today I had a banana and cereal bar at my desk. I admit that this is not the best start to the day and I do really need to work on my breakfasts. However I take pride in the fact I actually eat breakfast now, as I never used to and something is better than nothing!

2. How much water do you drink a day?

I drink LOADS of water! I have a glass when I wake up in the morning then go through 2 litres while I am at work, and then have another few glasses in the evening. So I imagine it’s about 3 litres of water. Water and tea are the only things I drink day to day. The easiest thing to do to make sure you drink more water is always have a bottle with you; on your desk, in your bag etc.

3. What is your current favourite workout?

I love my running! I am very happy that I finally do, it took me about 3 months of dragging myself outside and forcing myself to run 3/4 times a week to get to the point when I enjoyed it again. I admit somedays I have to force myself to do it and don’t enjoy it, but I mix it up. Somedays I run on the treadmill, others I go outside. Sometimes I’ll aim for distance, or I’ll do intervals, or hill sprints, or try for my quickest mile… keep it fresh and exciting!

4. How many calories do you eat a day?

I do not have a clue! I don’t calorie count at all. I have an idea of what I should aim for in each meal so if I buy a sandwich at the shop I know which one to buy. If you are calorie counting and trying to lose weight the amount of calories you need to eat vary for everyone, it all depends on your height, age, weight and exercise level, you can used online calculators like this one as a guide.

5. What are your favourite healthy snacks?

I love hummus and veg sticks, nuts, dried fruit, rice crackers etc. I get a lot of great snacks from my Graze box, which helps, especially when I have the nibbles in the office. One of my favourite healthy treats to have is a banana sliced in half and spread with a thin layer of Nutella… chocolaty goodness!

6. What do you usually eat for lunch?

I have soup everyday, either homemade, or a cup-a-soup if I’m unprepared. I have my soup with either some rice cakes, fruit, nuts, or carrot sticks and hummus. I am planning to become more organised and make more salads to take for my lunch, especially when Spring time comes round.

7. What is your favourite body part to strength train?

I’m torn between my arms or my bum. I love to train my arms because there are so many different exercises to do, plus you can see results VERY quickly so it’s very motivating. I also love to train my bum as I love to do squats. They work you hard, burn more calories than other strength moves and give you an amazing bum… what’s not to love!

8. What is your least favourite body part to strength train?

Either my abs or legs as they hinder the next day’s exercise and daily tasks. There have been times when I struggle to walk up or down stairs, or end up in pain whenever I laugh or sneeze. However the pain is always a good pain, as atleast I know I have worked my body hard!

9. What are your “bad” food cravings?

EVERYTHING! I love food, and love unhealthy food. I could not live without chocolate, Dominos Pizzas, or a crunchy fresh white baguette or bun! It is just a matter of learning not to eat unhealthy food everyday. However if I fancy a Dominos Pizza I will have one, I just choose a thin base, low fat cheese and a smaller size than what I used to have.

10. Do you take vitamins or supplements?

I don’t at the moment, but I do sometimes. If I am ill I will pop vitamins C everyday. I do try and take a multi-vitamin if I remember or some calcium supplements as I don’t get enough in my diet as I hate milk.

11. How often do you eat out?

About once a week. My boyfriend and I have a long distance relationship so at the weekend we like to go out for lunch or dinner together as a treat.  Because I know this happens I can compensate for it during the week. I make sure I eat healthy throughout the week as at the weekend I have a treat to look forward to!

12. Do you eat fast food?

Yes! I am human after all! I am trying to become a healthier person, but I don’t see why I can’t have a pizza every once in a while. I used to have a takeaway atleast once a week, however now it is more like once every three weeks/ a month. Being healthy is about moderation, not deprivation!

13. Who is you biggest supporter?

I would like to say myself, as I’m the one who pushes myself out the door into the cold to go for a run when I really don’t want to, however I know I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for the support from my boyfriend and my family. They are constantly telling me “well done for going for a run” and “look how skinny you’re getting”. Just the other day my boyfriend was telling my that I was disappearing!

14. Do you have a gym membership?

No. I tried the gym and figured out I can do everything I do there at home! It’s a lot cheaper! My mum and I have a lot of equipment between us; treadmill, weights, exercise balls and DVD’s. However you don’t need any equipment to workout! The road is free… get out and run! Use your own body weight for your strength training… squats, lunges, push-ups, the plank are all free to do and super effective!

15. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

I aim for 7.5 as that’s the optimum, however recently I’ve been a busy bunny, so it’s more like 7 or 6.5 on a bad night!

16. Do you have a “cheat” day?

I don’t have a designated cheat day, but if I fancy a treat I will have one, I just make sure I don’t’ have seconds, or have a treat the next day. If I’ve really indulged I’ll add an extra mile to my run, or make sure I workout twice the next day.

17. Do you drink alcohol?

Of course I do… I could not live without my champers! However I drink a hell of a lot less than I used to. I think alot of it comes from not being at university any more. However most of it comes from getting older… I’ve always had bad hangovers, but they are just getting worse, and I hate wasting my days off in a hung-over state.

18. Do you have a workout buddy?

I workout with my mum sometimes (when she isn’t injured, which she has been recently) and I also drag my boyfriend out for runs on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It’s nice to have someone beside you as you can encourage each other.

19. What is the best thing that has changed about your life since committing to a Healthy Lifestyle?

Probably that I love running again. I used to run alot before I went to uni and enjoyed it so much, but when I stopped doing it and then tried back at it, I found it difficult and punishing so I would never continue with it. However after many months of pushing myself I now have a changed state of mind. I now wake up on a Saturday morning and think “oh the weather’s nice, what a great day for a run!” ….  6 months ago you would of had to drag me out of bed on a Saturday morning.

20. What was the last healthy thing you did?

Last night I went out in the sub zero temperatures and pushed my tired legs to run 5k for the second day in a row. I am feeling it today, but I also never felt more proud when I had finished my run!

I hope the above answers helped demonstrate how I try to live a healthy life, and perhaps gave you some ideas and tips! Let me know if you are going to do the tag, leave your link below.

I do want you all the comment by answering… What was the last healthy thing you did? Lets share the inspiration and give ourselves a pat on the back by acknowledging our little accomplishments!

1. Hey it was really fun reading your response :)I love graze boxes too! Thanks for the shout out xx

2. Amy McCann says:

I loved reading this post. Very inspiring 🙂 I'm wanting to lose 2 stone before Summer and also I know that I am very unhealthy so as well as losing weight I'm hoping to get a lot healthier. This week especially I have took healthy eating very seriously and hope to see the difference on the scales on Monday morning. I'm dying to get out and get running because like you I used to love it but now it feels like a chore and would love to enjoy it again. I'm just waiting for all the snow and ice to do one as I don't fancy falling on my face my first time as that will really put me off. nailthelook.blogspot.com

3. Beth says:

It sounds like you're doing really well, keep up the good work! I recently stopped dancing so I've had to find other ways to keep in shape and I'm enjoying reading your posts 🙂 xx

4. Deja says:

Lovely tag, I think I will lso do this tag :))And I love your first video btw :))Xx

5. Jayne Becca says:

There are lots of great tips there! SO proud of you for really getting into running – in all weathers as well! The last healthy thing I did was spin class & a mug of green tea! Watch out for my answers to this tag next week. 🙂

Thanks for tagging me, I really enjoyed writing it 😀

Thanks so much xx

Thanks so much lovely, love to hear that I can inspire people :DThe way to loose weight is to become healthy darling, that's what I focus on. I choose to do lots of little healthy things each day and as a consequence I loose weight slowly but steadily. Congrats in the healthy food choices this week! It's not ideal for running is weather, but get out there as soon as possible 😀

How come you stopped the dancing? I used to dance when I was a school, great way to keep fit… I never even thought of it as a workout as it was so much fun! It's great to hear that you enjoy my posts 😀

Yeah!!! Let me know when you do it, will love to read your answers. aww thanks so much 😀 xx

Thaaaaanks Jayne! Means a lot coming from you as your my inspiration 😀 I did feel pretty amazing after my runs this week, really felt like I accomplished something! Wow a spin class, that is hard core… Go you! Looking forward to reading your answers xx

12. Natalie says:

This is awesome! Loved reading all of your answered 🙂 I find running is really not my thing so I really admire you for getting into it – it's a tough one but definitely the best form of cardio. I force myself to hammer out 15minutes on the treadmill each week! I'm looking forward to doing this tag next week :DN xoxo

Thanks so much darling! Running isn't for everyone, it can be boring or ard work for some, the best thing to do is to find something you enjoy doing, that way you will stick with it. I look forward to reading your answers, link me up when you do it xx

14. Vic says:

This is a great post 🙂 I'm a massive fan of running, after rock climbing (!) its my favourite form of exercise! I find going to the gym a bit draining – not sure why! But after a run I always feel mentally refreshed and ready to crack on with my to-do list. Healthy AND productive – can't ask for more than that!

15. Laura Worden says:

Love your blog, I'm following now 🙂 Feel free to check out mine!Laura xBunny Munroe

Thanks Laura, will check yours out 😀

Ooo rock climbing, my friend does that and loves it. I don't think I would have the arm strength to be able to pull myself up :DIt's like they say… Running is cheaper than therapy 😀 xx

18. Reading through all of your answers I thought I'd share with you my favorite workout regimen! I religiously follow Bodyrock.tv with eating tips and their workouts. If you haven't heard of it I definitely recommend taking a look! High intensity interval training; workouts are between 12-15 minutes (that's it!) and there is no equipment required, just use your own bodyweight! As always, lovely post :)xxAlex

19. I really enjoyed this tag! Its really made me look at what I eat and drink and my distinct lack of exercise. I will definitely be thinking more deeply about this now. Thanks for a great post, I really enjoyed it! xxwww.ittykitty.co.uk

20. notjustashopper says:

Enjoyed reading your post…I need to get fit again..spring is round the corner too…very inspiring post..

21. thetangylife says:

I loved reading this and getting to know your regime better! I definitely agree that you have to have "bad" foods in moderation, but when you want to eat it, just eat it and enjoy it!! :D<3 Kelly

22. Limes Smiles says:

Lovely tag hon 🙂 it was nice reading it!IxxLimes&Smiles

23. Shen says:

I loved reading this tag! Really interesting. =) I love seeing people's different routines when everyone's heading towards the same goal.xx

24. Shen says:

Also I'm doing this tag too! it's going to be up soon.xx

25. Laura says:

Amazing post!, very cool!You have a great blog, i'm following you now!, i hope you can follow me too :)Kisses!

26. Emma Lyskava says:

I really wish I could run 😦 I get really bad shin splint and my physio said that I just wasn't built for running as I have terribly flat feet :'(The last healthy thing I did? Erm I went to roller derby on Monday but it wasn't too strenuous as I've progressed so much from when I started in September!xx

27. I love your quote images 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

28. Thankyou Laura. I'm glad you enjoyed it 😀

29. I have heard of Bodyrock TV. I haven't tired any of them as they looks really hard. Are they more difficult than say P90X, if you've done that? Really should man up and try them lol xx

30. Thank Katy, aww that's great! I hope it has helped you become more healthy. My diet isn't as good as it could be know I need to sort that out some more 😀

31. Thankyou, if you want to get fit for summer you need to start now. May is only 4 months away! xx

32. If I didn't have treats, I would go crazy! Everything in moderation 😀

33. Thanks lovely, hope you are well xx

34. Aww that is such a shame. Have you tried getting some specialist trainers? Wow that sounds like lots of fun, and as long as you're moving you are doing something great for your body xx

35. Thanks Terr, hope they inspired you 😀

36. There is actually a lot of calcium in green veg (broccoli, spinach) and nuts so you probably get enough without drinking milk! really liked this post was nice to see how you keep healthy on a regular basis xx

37. Emma Louise says:

I loved reading this. I just did the it on my blog, tagged you in it. :)xx

38. I prefer them over P90X. I did the whole 90 day thing and the workouts became super repetitive. I love Bodyrock because they post a new workout every day, so you never get bored! And it's great because you can start out at any level — they post modifications for beginners so you can work up to the original moves. Definitely give them a try! They are a great resource for total body workouts. :)Forgot to leave my link in one of my previous comments for you to check out the new blog, here you go :)www.geekchicfoodie.blogspot.comxx

39. Didn't know that, maybe I do 😀 Little things everyday make me healthy, just teaching myself little habits 😀

40. Thanks Emma, thanks for the tag I will check out your answers 😀